Are you expecting a little one? Maybe you aren’t, but you know someone who is. Maybe you’re like me and you just enjoy good photography when you see it. No matter what your situation is, you’re going to really enjoy this week’s episode of the PDX Small Business Podcast! I sit down with Stella Rausch Scott of Stella Maris Photography to talk about her business: how she got her start, what she does, and all that jazz.
Portland Family Photographer
Stella Rausch Scott is a birth story and Portland family photographer that caters to the northwest area of Portland, as well as southwest Washington. She calls herself a boutique photographer—meaning she takes the time to customize the session for her clients as much as possible. Stella offers a really unique experience which is part of what makes her and her work truly remarkable!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- The origin of Stella’s name, Stella Maris. She tells me that “Stella Maris” means “Star of the Sea,” which was given to her by her grandfather. Apparently, her parents met on the sea after her mother’s ship caught fire and was sinking; her father’s ship answered the distress call and rescued everyone on board.—a serious fairytale start for them!
- What being a boutique photographer is all about. Stella prides herself on making her photography not just a single session, but an awesome experience for the whole family. She gets to know her clients, understands fully what they want to do with their photos, builds a relationship, and shows them that the investment they’re making is truly worth it.
- The kinds of sessions she offers. Though she does family and life sessions, her real bread and butter is what she calls the “Fresh 48”, which is where she comes in and takes photos of your newborn within the first forty-eight hours of their life, and “Botanical and Milk Bath Sessions,” which is where Stella pampers moms in a beautiful, floral milk bath and takes photos of this relaxing time.
- The way Stella markets herself. A huge component of her success is networking, specifically with people in the industry she shoots for—meaning, birth services.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Stella Maris Photography
- Photography Portfolio
- IAPBP – Birth Photographers
My conversation with Stella was so great; it was a real treat to learn more about her and her business and what sets her apart from other photographers in the Portland area. Oh, and her favorite place in Portland? A hole-in-the-wall restaurant called Out Aza Blue in Gales Creek. Most people brush it off, but to her and her husband, it’s the #1 choice for date night!
Stella Maris Photography: