What’s it like being a business owner and a single mother? Today’s guest fills us in on all the stumbling blocks she’s had to endure while carving her own niche out in the business world.
Gwen Montoya is with Montoya Digital Marketing. She’s also one of the very cool people who started the MOB – Mommy-Owned Business Group. She’s on the MOB board of directors, where she’s the VP of Marketing, so you know she means business
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- Gwen fills us in on her background in coding way back in the 90’s, and how she’s used that knowledge to help create the MOB’s online presence.
- We discuss the core culture of the MOB group and how it differs from a lot of other business-related groups. The core structure is founded on kindness, inclusiveness, and collaboration over competition. Most important, the core of the MOB is to blend the responsibilities of being a business owner with the responsibilities of being a mom. Phew!
- She explains what she does for a living as a single mom. She outlines how she got to her current position, and the trials she’s had to deal with involving finding childcare while still somehow eking out a paycheck. This set of trials led her to a startling revelation: how many moms out there were just like her and in need of marketing support that took their parenting needs into account.
- Gwen explains how integral motherhood has become to her business approach and how many of her clients are also mothers. (She even tells the story of how she played peek-a-boo with a client’s kid during a coaching session. Yeah. She’s that cool.)
- Gwen drops a few marketing bombs for local Portland business owners. These include things like asking current clients for reviews and making sure your brick-and-mortar business is listed on all of the online directories. She hits us hard and fast with these tips, so get your pens and notebooks ready.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Gwen is such a fantastic and interesting person; you won’t regret listening to her tell the tales of how she got to the fantastic position she’s in today. I honestly feel like I was getting to interview a celebrity. Listen in now, and when you’re done, check out Gwen’s site where she offers great marketing advice and one-on-one coaching sessions.